How to Resolve the Windows 10 Error Code 0xc000000f: Encountering the error code 0xc000000f on your Windows 10 system can be frustrating, especially if it prevents you from booting up your computer and accessing your data. This error commonly occurs after upgrading the Windows operating system or installing new device drivers or programs. It manifests as a blue or black screen and displays the following error messages:
- Your PC needs to be repaired: 0xc000000f Windows 10
- Windows failed to start: the 0xc000000f fix without installation disc
- Error code 0xc000000f: A required device isn’t connected or can’t be accessed
Fortunately, there’s no need to panic, as there are troubleshooting methods that can help you fix this system error. Before diving into the solutions, let’s first explore the common causes behind the error code 0xc000000f.
Causes of Error Code 0xc000000f
Several factors can contribute to the Windows error code 0xc000000f. The most common ones include:
- Damaged Boot Configuration Data (BCD)
- Corrupted system files
- Faulty device drivers
- Corrupted hard drive
- Malware infection
Now let’s delve into the troubleshooting methods to fix the Windows 10 error code 0xc000000f:
Method 1: Perform Startup Repair
To resolve the error code 0xc000000f, you can attempt Startup Repair using the Windows Recovery Environment (RE). Follow these steps:
- Start your system using the USB installation media.
- Upon seeing the Windows icon, restart your PC again.
- Repeat the above steps three times to reach the Windows Setup screen.
- Click on “Repair your computer” and proceed.
- On the Automatic Repair screen, navigate to Advanced > Troubleshoot > Advanced.
- Select “Startup Repair” from the available options.
- Choose your account and enter the password to initiate Startup Repair.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
- Reboot your system and check if the error has been resolved.
Method 2: Use Bootrec.exe in the Windows RE
If the previous method doesn’t solve the error, you can try utilizing the Bootrec.exe tool. This tool helps fix issues with the Master Boot Record (MBR), Boot Sector, and Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store that might be responsible for the Windows error code 0xc000000f. Follow these steps:
- Boot your PC using the installation media and press a key when prompted.
- Click on “Repair your computer” and navigate to Advanced options > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
- Type “bootrec.exe” in the Command Prompt window and press Enter.
- Close the Command Prompt window and reboot your system.
Method 3: Rebuild BCD
You can attempt to rebuild the BCD using the Command Prompt. Here’s how:
- Boot your system using bootable installation media and open the Command Prompt window in the Automatic Repair environment (follow the aforementioned steps).
- In the Command Prompt window, enter the following commands one by one and press Enter after each:
- bootrec /fixmbr
- bootrec /fixboot
- bootrec /rebuildbcd
Afterward, close the Command Prompt window and restart your system.
Method 4: Run CHKDSK Command
The error code 0xc000000f can also arise due to a faulty or corrupted hard drive. To fix potential corruption issues, you can run the CHKDSK command by following these steps:
- Boot your system using the installation media and open Command Prompt.
- Type the command “chkdsk f: /f” in the Command Prompt window and press Enter.
- Once the process completes, close the window and restart your PC.
Method 5: Reset your PC
Resetting your PC can help resolve the error code 0xc000000f by removing problematic apps, programs, device drivers, and other potential causes. You can choose to keep or delete your files during the reset process. Follow these steps:
- Restart your system with the installation media and click on “Repair your computer” > Advanced options > Troubleshoot > Reset your PC.
- You’ll be presented with two options: “Keep my files” and “Remove everything.”
- Select the desired option and click on “Just remove your files,” followed by Next.
- A prompt will appear on your screen to confirm the removal of everything from your system. Click Next.
- When prompted, click Reset > Continue.
Method 6: Reinstall Windows 10
If none of the above methods prove successful in resolving the error code 0xc000000f, reinstalling Windows 10 might be your final option. For this, you’ll need a USB installer.
Note: Performing a clean install will erase all data on the drive partition where the operating system is installed. Therefore, it’s advised to recover your data beforehand. To recover data from a non-booting PC, you can use reliable data recovery software such as Stellar Data Recovery Professional.
Encountering the error code 0xc000000f can be disruptive, but with the troubleshooting solutions provided above, you can resolve it easily. In some cases, this error may lead to a loss of access to your system. In such situations, you can rely on user-friendly and powerful data recovery software like Stellar Data Recovery Professional to retrieve your data. This software can recover data from non-booting or crashed Windows systems efficiently.
Remember to always backup your important files and regularly update your system to minimize the risk of encountering errors like the 0xc000000f code.